Friday, May 16, 2014

The Great Spring Edible Wild Food Hunt

I've been quite interested in eating wild plants that grow.  Everyone knows that you can eat dandelions, but aside from that, my knowledge is pretty limited.

I got an amazing book from our library, and immediately purchased a copy from Amazon.  The Forager's Harvest.












This book totally rocks, and if you are in the upper Midwest, is the one you want.  I recognized just about every plant in this book where I grew up.

The kids and I will be going on an excursion back to my parent's house at the end of May to have edible wild food week with my dad.  Ava is even going to get to miss school for it.  (Next year we won't have to worry about that because she will be homeschooled and we can do it for science!)

Remember how in The Hunger Games, Katniss stayed alive by eating wild plants, well, here you go.  This book is excellent because it has actual pictures, not drawings to help you identify.  And the author Samuel Thayer, goes into lots of details about how and what parts of the plant to eat.

A fun spring/summer experiment for anyone to do with their kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment