Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Cleaning the Hidden Monster

So I had (notice the past tense?) this dirty little secret under my bed.

Over time, it got filled with stuff I didn't know where to put anywhere else.  Bags of documents that I needed to either file or shred, Jillian Michael's weight loss set, books that accidentally got shoved under, a box of costume jewelry that I never wear, you get the idea.

I had started reading the book The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up.



I tried to get it from the library, but apparently I am not the only person who would like to change my clutter issues.  I was 9th on the list, so if everyone kept it for only the three weeks allowed, it would be my turn in 24 weeks.

I sprang for the $10 to buy it.

Anyway, I am reading this book, and I got impatient with my room.  Now I will tell you right now that is not the how the book says you should do things.  In the book you are supposed to organize by item.  As in take every item of clothing in the house, literally every single one, dump them in the living room and then hold everyone and ask yourself if it brings you joy.

I didn't do that.  But I did clean my entire room, including under my the bed- dust ball horror, under my dresser, and the closet.  I do plan on following her book the way she intends it to be followed, but that will happen once I finish it.  I just got excited and couldn't help myself!

Apparently her clients have never had a relapse, and there is a 3 month waiting list.

The question is, can I get my quasi-hoarder husband to go along with it?  Or even to answer which of his 37 tshirts brings him joy?

No comments:

Post a Comment