Monday, June 28, 2010

Decorating......Again

Okay, so a looong time ago, I blogged about how at some point, I was bit by the decorating bug and ever since then, it has reaked havoc on my life. Well, it has happened again. This time it was not the kitchen, (thank goodness, because I don't think walls were meant to have 9 different layers of paint on them!) but our bedroom. I have an aversion to white walls, so naturally, there aren't any in our house. However, I just learned of a new aversion I have- I don't like two rooms to be the same color. Our bedroom matches our kitchen. Now I know this doesn't sound like a good thing, but the color is Fig, and I got leftover paint from a friend of mine, and it looked so good in the bedroom that I painted the kitchen. I LOVE it in the kitchen, and it looks great in our bedroom, but that nasty bug in me just can't handle it that they match. At first I thought of this beautiful light blue, but after taping a bunch of those paint color cards around the room, I determined it was too country. Then I thought perhaps a nice golden color. Nope. Moving on. I finally found two colors that I like a lot, and were very close, so I went to the store and got cheap $2 samples and painted various spots around the room. Hubby came home and saw the bedroom and said in his eloquent way, "Why?" I didn't say a whole lot back because how do you express to one your bizarre pet peeve about having two rooms being the same color is a problem? Anyway, I finally decided which one I liked the best, and drumroll please, it is called (rather unoriginally I might add) "Classic Teal". It is this amazingly, dark, moody, gorgeous color. It fits me to a T. (Okay, after reading that, I probably need to clarify that I am not actually dark and moody, nor particularly gorgeous, but I do love dark, expressive colors and am infinetly more attracted to that spectrum of the rainbow then the sunny side up of pastels, etc.!) Hubby hasn't seen it yet, and I am crossing my fingers he falls in love with it too. Thankfully, he just kind of goes with the flow. I tried to take a picture of it to post here, but since it is getting dark outside, it doesn't show up so great. I will try again later. The contrast in the room is amazing because our comforter is white and so are the curtains. I am thrilled to death! (Course, you probably couldn't tell that by now, could you?!) I am hoping to do the bathroom next, although I have limited options in there because the people who owned the house before us decided to put in an ugly blue bathtub, and a countertop with that fake marble running through it in, guess what color? Blue. Oh well, I can make it work. I am already starting to fret about how I am going to decorate the new babies' room. They will have to share for now, and I cannot figure out how I am going to do a room that will work for both a boy and a little girl. I have thought of a bunch of different ideas, but still nothing is just right. I have fantastic ideas for when they each have their own room, but I've got nothing, nada, zilch for their room together. I tried to ask my kids for help, but it didn't go over great. My son will be giving up his room to the babies since he is on the same floor as us, and will be moving downstairs to share with his sister until we can get the other bedroom finished. His decorating advice was for the babies to sleep on the couch in the living room. Not exactly what I was looking for! I know it will come to me at some point. I have even stood in front of the paint aisle and looked at the 8 million chips, for what seemed like an eternity, for a color to jump out and inspire me. The only problem is, I get too much inspiration, and want to do everything in my house completely over! I am bound and determined to use super hot pink someday in my house. But currently, that would match absolutely nothing else at all, and so it is has to go on the backburner for now. Anyway, I probably should hang it up right now, I have to put the bedroom back in semi-order so it looks totally awesome when Chris comes home, and so he can be amazed at his wife and how she should have been an interior decorator!

No comments:

Post a Comment