Saturday, June 5, 2010

Doting on my daughter

Yesterday was my daughter's last friday of school. She has to go into next week, but the last friday was a big deal. On the way home she told me that I definitely would not want her going into second grade, which involves switching to the new school with the 3rd and 4th graders. When I asked her why not, she very seriously said "Because the third graders give you wedgies on the playground so hard you bleed." I almost burst out laughing from her response, but she was actually 100% serious, so I took the correct route without laughing and asked where she had heard that from. Apparently, her friend's older brother, who is graduating highschool, told her friend that, who then kindly passed it on to my daughter. I reassured her that I doubted the third graders gave wedgies to kids on the playground, and that they certainly didn't make you bleed, but that if someone ever did try to do that, she should immediately run and tell a teacher. After that, she felt much better. This one is definitely going down on the list of fantastic and amusing things she says.

I also just have to say how proud I am of her for her work in reading this year. When she started first grade, she was having some problems reading, and so they put her in a lower class to take it a little bit slower. Her first grade class had 29 students in it this year, and it is almost impossible to help that many children to read appropriately. She worked very hard through the school year, both in class and at home, and now is ahead of where first graders are at the end of the year. Super proud Mama! She HATED reading up until last December. Didn't want to touch a book or look through the pages if she thought we were going to make her read at all. Now, she wants to read to us and her brother all the time. And when she reads a big book, she says "I did it, Mom! I read the whole thing!" It is so fun to watch her be proud of herself, knowing that she is doing awesome. I love watching my children being confident with who they are and what they can do. She is going to be an amazing woman some day- awesome beyond belief that I can say that about her.

No comments:

Post a Comment