Thursday, October 30, 2014

Reading Update (6th grade progress)

It's been awhile.  We went up North and stayed with my parents for a week on the farm, and it is always hard to get back into blogging.

Stella | Juniper Moon Farm
This is not their baby cow, but I couldn't handle the cuteness!

I feel like I've been fighting family chaos.  Especially when right now, Truitt and Moyz are telling each other that they won't be best friends with each other anymore.  

Thought I'd give an update on where Ava is in terms of literature for the year.  I loosely follow the concept in The Book Whisperer, where she expects her kids to read 40 books a year.  I say loosely because while Ava definitely has to read at least that many, my idea of journaling back and forth about what Ava has read hasn't really gone anywhere.

Mostly because she really does love reading and I don't even have to force it with her, and it frees up more time for me to focus on school for the other kiddos.

Here's what she's done in the 15 weeks we've had school, so if you need some ideas this is a decent place to start!

Matilda (loved this book as a kid, and even now!)
Mysterious Benedict Society
From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
Ender's Game
Pippi Longstocking
Heaven is For Real
The Secret Zoo
The Moffats
Mary Poppins
Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell
Mary Poppins Comes Back
Mary Poppins Opens The Door
The Westing game
The Borrowers Afield
Island of the Blue Dolphins
My Side of the Mountain
The Watsons Go to Birmingham
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Bud, Not Buddy
The Time Travelers Book 1
The Time Travelers Book 2
The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane
Out of My Mind

She's also reread several of the Harry Potter books, and was rereading them so much I basically had to tell her no more Harry Potter until you hit 40 books.

I love, love, love that she likes to read so much.  It makes me happy that we can share that together, especially because she tends to be a very private person, but we can always bond over books.

And if you share the same affinity for books you should definitely check out the blog
Modern Mrs. Darcy.  Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment