Tuesday, November 11, 2014

That Christmas Smell Without Candles

This time of year comes around and I start thinking warm house scents.  Especially now since on Sunday we got 12+ inches of snow.  (Can I just officially go on the record saying how much I hate winter?)

"I prefer winter and fall, when you feel the bone structure of the landscape - the loneliness of it, the dead feeling of winter. Something waits beneath it, the whole story doesn't show." - Andrew Wyeth
Isn't this pretty?  And not really related but since blog posts without pictures are kind of boring, here it is.

We've been using essential oils for health reasons and just for smelly reasons.  I have a Pumpkin Spice candle I love to burn but haven't figured out oils to replicate or get close to it.

A friend borrowed one of my diffusers to try and she happened to have Young Living's Christmas Spirit essential oil blend.  It contains Cinnamon Bark, Spruce and Orange oils.  I don't know the specific amounts and I don't really like orange, but I bought a Spruce to combine with the Cinnamon I already had.

I am loving it.  Amazing smell, health benefits and a nice, warm feeling even if it is miserable outside. I just sort of add drops of both and sniff and add more of one or the other to make the right mix.

I'm trying to break away from candles because they can have all sorts of objectionable things in them. Even the ones made in the USA.  It's harder then you'd think it would be and I probably won't do it completely.

Mainstays 20 oz Candle, Pumpkin Spice
My favorite candle is from Walmart, Pumpkin Spice for $5.  I love it.  Don't tell the die-hard oilers!   That ugly label peels off easily so you don't have to stare at advertisement when you gaze into the flames...

No comments:

Post a Comment