Tuesday, April 20, 2010

3 year check up

It was my son's three year check up today. Not a great experience. We have a boy who is tough and loves to play. Due to that, he has been in the emergency room 3 times in his short life. Twice for stitches in his head, where they wrapped him up like a burrito and then came at his face to stitch it, and then once when his hand got stuck in a screen door window that slammed down on top of it. Apparently, his memory is amazing, because the moment we walked into the clinic room, he lost it. He screamed almost the entire time. His doctor is amazing, and just went with it. But it must be hard to have a patient freak out at you. She had to look under his underwear to make sure everything was and in place. So I am struggling to hold a screaming, kicking child, and she tried to get his pants off. Finally, I managed to get them off, she took a quick peak, and then we were done. He gave us one of those looks like "that was it?" Alas, it was not it. He needed shots. At first she was going to have him wait, but since we are adopting, and Hepatitis can be a big deal, she wanted to get it over with. Imagine holding your son down on the bed, a nurse is bracing his legs. He is screaming until his face turns red, and crying. His legs were so tense the nurse thought he would probably bruise. Poor kid. I felt horrible, but at the same time I almost laughed. Which made me feel worse that I would laugh at him. But he never acts this way, and it took me by surprise. Not that it was necessarily funny, but I didn't know how to react, so apparently lots of stress equals laughing. Afterwards we went to Target and got the popcorn/freezey special, and that seemed to greatly improve things. Ah, the value of a well-placed bribe!

No comments:

Post a Comment