Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Patience

So today I had a good lesson in patience. Which will definitely be needed given the large amount of time we will spend waiting for our adoption to happen. Even just waiting to be pre-approved, and then the giant wait to be re-approved in country, then finally waiting to be matched with a child. But today, it was all about patience in taking down wallpaper. Wallpaper that I just put up two weeks ago. I have this unfortunate gene that requires me to decorate. A lot. I decided that my kitchen had to have this bark cloth type wallpaper put up in it. I enlisted the help of a friend who had a wallpapering business way back in the day. It was a lot of fun and we had a good time. The problem is, now I don't actually like it. The pattern looked so great on the roll in the store. On my walls, not so much. It kind of feels like a throwback to the 70's. One friend graciously said it looked Asian inspired. So I pulled down the pieces. They were supposed to come off in nice strips. That is what the packaging said. Instead, I ripped off miniscule little pieces, and soaked the rest and then scraped and scraped. It took me three hours just to take it off the tiny area above the cupboards. I am not looking forward to the full wall. The good news is, I didn't once try to throw anything in my frustration at it not coming down like it was supposed to. There is hope for me yet! It's like the quote from Evan Almighty, if we ask God for patience, does he give it to us, or does he give us opportunities when we need to be patient? (paraphrasing there, I can't remember the exact quote) Patience is not my strong point. But I know that our daughter will be so worth the wait. I might complain and whine a little between now and then, but hopefully not too much.

2 comments:

  1. Jess,
    Try using diluted liquid fabric softener in a spray bottle. Score the wall paper, spray the softener on, wait a few minutes, and pull it off. While you still need to work a it, it "should" come off a little bit easier and in larger chunks! Way to go at blogging! It looks nice and perrrty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that quote from "Evan Almighty", too. Your blog looks great! I finally broke down and started one on our adoption process too. It is very hard finding those little badges and widgets for the sidebar! But Amazima is a good start : ) Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

    ReplyDelete