Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Book Rut

Now that it is gorgeous out here, my kids want to be outside all of the time. It gives me a great opportunity to read while they run around in the yard. Acutally, they are more of the type to climb into a tree and then stay there for an hour making up stories. My three year old came out of the house with mittens on to help his hands while trying to get up the tree like his sister. Super cute, and way to use his brain! The only problem that I have with this arrangement (and I admit, in reality, it is not much of a problem at all!) is that I am stuck in a book rut. Lately, I have been reading books by Robert Ludlum, and David Baldacci. CIA type thrillers. My secret dream is to join the CIA, I even once sent my application in, but never heard anything back! Anyway, I am starting to feel like a 55 year old man, essentially because my dad and I read the same books, and he reads the same books as his brother, and so on and so forth. HELP! I am not a 55 year old man! I definitely need to branch out. I have a tendency to stick to one genre. For a couple of years, it was all things Microbiology (my degree), then it was Russian authors because I took Russian in college, and then on to the other classics. I nailed all the Harry Potters, Stephenie Meyer, and even the kids series Fablehaven. Now I am at an impasse and I need a new direction. If anyone has any great ideas, I would appreciate them! In the meantime, I will just enjoy the beautiful outdoors and say amen to no more snow!

3 comments:

  1. Hey! I'm not sure if I've introduced myself before but I follow your blog...same interests! I LOVE to read too and one of my favorite authors is Jodi Picoult. Have you ever read any of her books? They are amazing! Just thought I'd throw that out there. Have a good day!

    www.heartsforrwanda.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Shelfari on my blog if you want to look at all that I've read recently. I highly recommend "The Help" and "Still Alice." Have you read the Poisonwood Bible or There is no me without you? I also HIGHLY recommend Adopted for Life by Russell Moore if you haven't read that yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the CIA too! :) Haven't sent in an application tho. What about Land of a Thousand Hills by Rosamund Carr. Kind of an obvious Rwanda one but really good.

    ReplyDelete