Sunday, October 10, 2010

Saturday it was 84 degrees. So naturally, we decided (that would be my hubby) that it would be the perfect "last chance" to go fishing before it got nasty and we had to fish on the ice in a shack. I didn't actually mind this idea because it allows for me to sit in a boat and read magazines, and not have to worry about the dishes or the laundry getting done, which is what happens at home when I sit and read magazines.

My daughter wanted to go swimming. I told her that this probably wasn't a good idea, because although it feels like summer, the water isn't summer temperature, but Chris backed her up and said that it sounded like a good idea to him. Keep in mind we didn't get out on the lake until a little after 5, and the sun wasn't exactly shining like a beacon.

Being the brave man that he is, Chris jumped into the water first. He really had to do it by default because both Ava and Owen don't like being the first one in. He basically had a heart attack the moment he got all the way in. Then Ava and Owen quickly followed, and almost just as quickly tried to get back out again. The good news is, Chris had the foresight to bring clothes for them to change into. They lasted in the water about 3 minutes. After I hauled them back in and changed them into warm clothes, Chris admitted that it was probably the coldest water he had ever been in. Um, duh. Any moderately smart person would know that you don't go swimming in the lake in the Northern US in October. Ever heard of hypothermia?

No dull moments here at the Nelson house.

They were warm in their clothes, so Chris continued to fish, I continued to read, and the kids played with worms the rest of the evening. They put them all over their arms and legs and down each other's clothes. Gross. But at least I am not raising sissies!

I also finished the top of my quilt this weekend. Quilt in a day took a week. But to be fair, it wasn't seven days of constant quilting. I wouldn't be able to sit that still for my life. The picture is below. it turned out fairly decent, although I ended up messing up the corners quite a bit. Oh well, it is only my second attempt at a real quilt.



No comments:

Post a Comment