Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Can you help me?

I am writing this blog post to ask for help.

When Chris and I were in Uganda, we spent a lot of time with an amazing woman and her family. Her name is Pastor Juliet, and her husband is Pastor Tom. They have two daughters, Esther who is 4, Joy is 3, and a son Joshua, who is 1.

Chris and I have felt that God is asking us to help this family out. Another couple in our bible study have also felt a calling to help someone, and we together have decided to "adopt" the family and contribute to their needs financially.

They currently live in a two room house with no running water or bathroom. It is close to where their church is, and behind a gate for added safety, and while it doesn't sound like much for us, it has served them well so far. However, they are 5 months behind on rent. Rent for their house is $100 a month. Chris and I do not have the money to get them caught up and current on their rent, but combined with the other family we do have enough to take care of rent in the future if we can get rid of their current debt.

The church where they pastor is in an extremely poor part of the town, and the total tithe that it takes in per month is about $10.00. Pastor Juliet and her family rely on God's provisions each and every single day that they might have food for their family and clothes on their backs. I cannot imagine being in the same situation and trusting God for him to provide for me in that way. Just today I had McDonalds for lunch with a friend, and then went to Costco and bought food in bulk. It is a situation that I cannot even fathom, and one that is so far from my mind, sometimes it easy to forget how much people suffer- even as I go through an adoption and know the statistics.

We would definitely appreciate your prayers for Pastor Juliet and Tom and their family. I know in my life I have seen the power of prayer working powerfully, and I believe that God has done amazing things through Juliet, and will continue to do so in the future.

If you are able to contribute any amount to getting rid of their debt we would be forever appreciative of you. We are hoping to alleviate this burden from them so they can move forward in ministry without the fears about providing a house hovering over them. If you cannot contribute financially, I completely understand, but I would ask that you pray for them and the church that they are responsible for.

If you would like to contribute financially to this family, please email me at: cjnelsonfam@gmail.com and I can give you details on sending the money to us, and then we will send it to the family through Western Union.

Thank you for taking the time to read through this and prayerfully considering a way that you can help.

Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment