Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Preschool Curriculum For The Littles

I finally got serious with the kids and we have been doing a formal preschool curriculum for the last three weeks.  I heard about a program called Letter of the Week by Confessions of a Homeschooler.  She's a Christian mama who homeschools her 4 kiddos.  I paid $15 dollars for it.


It's totally adorable, but very ink consuming, and thus more costly then what I would like, even though I buy a lot of my ink from abcink and it's super cheap.  I pick and choose items that aren't so ink intensive and we do those.  And I laminate anything spectacularly awesome and the kids can reuse it.

I then also found a website called 1+1+1+1, and they have a ton of free printables that I supplement with.  They have a lesson for every letter, plus tons and tons of free printable packs by theme.  You will spend lots of time just looking at them and barely believing that a mom put them together for free for others to use.

Here is an example for Ballerina and the letter B.  Kembia is going to die when we get to this.  (We are doing vowels first).

Ballet Preschool Pack

The only issue we are running into is that Kembia already knows all her letters and sounds and all of her numbers through 20.  I find this fascinating because I haven't taught her any of it and I need to step it up and give her some harder stuff.  It's almost a little scary how fast she is moving.  And then Truitt and Moyz are still struggling to hold their crayons correct!

Actually, Truitt mostly just colors whatever page I give him.  At 2 years it's maybe asking a lot for him to do some of the things we are doing, but he likes to feel included and will sit for a half an hour of teaching time.  Moyz can hang in there a little longer, but he definitely isn't as excited about it all as Kembia.

If you have a preschooler, there are tons of stuff between Confessions of a Homeschooler and 1+1+1+1, not to mention a gazillion ideas on pinterest.




1 comment:

  1. Don't worry about them holding the crayon "right". There is a developmental process where they go from holding it in their fist, to sort of pinching it in all their fingers to finally getting it "right". Most preschools don't even worry about the grip because it naturally develops by kindergarten. If it doesn't by then, maybe focus on it more. Good luck with the homeschooling!

    ReplyDelete