Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My son is so much like my hubby it is almost scary. He looks just like him too. In fact, there is very little, I would say almost non-existent evidence that I am his mother. For the record, my daughter also looks like him. (In a good, completely girl way.) I have made my peace with this.

This past weekend Chris decided that he was going to sort through his fishing lures. Owen was all about this. They bonded over fishing in the basement for what I swear was hours. Later Owen came upstairs to show me his very own tackle box, with his very own fishing lures. You know, the kind with the hooks still attached. And then he says "Dad says I can play with these anytime I want to."

Maybe no other couples have the issue of not seeing eye to eye about everything like Chris and I do. Call me crazy, but I just don't think 4 year olds need to play with lures with sharp hooks. I tried to explain how this may not be the best idea- that I envision trips to the ER because of hooks imbedded into the skin. Chris tried to explain how Owen has been "playing" with hooks since he was 2 years old, and that it's practically in his blood. (It's sort of true- that kid eats, sleeps and thinks fishing, along with every other male on Chris' side of the family) So I agreed to supervised fish lure playing. He takes them out on the wood floor and honest to goodness, plays with them. As in they are each their own fish and he makes up stories with them. I will admit that it is adorable, but I do believe that this will remain "supervised play" for quite a long time.

Somewhere in Africa there is the sweetest little boy who has no idea whatsoever the "legacy" he is about to inherit. Sometimes I will tease Chris and ask him what will happen if his new son doesn't like fishing. Aside from the look of horror he gives me, Chris has assured me that there is no way his son won't like fishing- in his own words "why wouldn't he?" Owen has great plans for his new brother. Daddy too.

No comments:

Post a Comment