Wednesday, December 15, 2010

I think I made the worst meal ever in my history of cooking- including the cooking after I was newly married and had no idea how to cook.

After a very long of day of trying to finish up some shopping, I had zero plans for supper so in desperation I looked into my pantry to see what was different than what we had eaten the last few nights. I came up with one can of collard greens, and one can of hominy.

Truly, I have no idea what possessed me to buy those two items. The only experience with collard greens that I have ever had was horrible, I must have been not looking when I grabbed that can. The hominy I do remember buying for a recipe, but then I lost the recipe and never made it. But I did have to google just what the heck hominy was. Just so you all know, it is corn that is soaked in caustic stuff (I don't know what stuff, but doesn't it just already sound healthy for you!) and it takes off the tough outer layers.

Anyway, I added half a can of cream of mushroom soup, half a jalapeno and a bunch of cheddar cheese to the hominy along with some red pepper sprinkled on top. I was following a recipe that was listed as being delicious on all recipes. I am not sure who the people are that like that recipe but they are quite clearly delirious.

For the collard greens, I cooked them in chicken broth, added spicy pepper and garlic. That was marginally okay, Ava even liked it when she dumped parmesan cheese on top and ate it on french bread. The only saving grace to the meal was the venison that we had to go with it.

Needless to say, we did not save the leftovers and my husband LOVES leftover anything.

That was one disgusting meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment