Tuesday, April 10, 2012

cleaning and not being able to tell

Yesterday I spent just about the whole entire day cleaning.  I hate days like that.  To top it off, I cleaned in my bedroom, the junk drawers and the babies' dresser.  So it was the type of cleaning where you can't really tell you cleaned.  If you had walked into my house it would look like a bomb went off.  So when Chris walked in I had to swear up and down that I didn't just sit on my bottom and let the kids run wild.

Our bedroom is the defacto "put all the crap that you don't know what to do with" place.  This is not super conducive to calmness before sleeping.  Add to it that all of our utensils were spread around the room due to changes in the kitchen and mounds and mounds of laundry, it was in dire need of help.  My mother in law was here last week and she would just barge right in to get Truitt out of his crib when he woke up.  Imagine the kind of chaos that you would never want your mother in law to see because you know it would only give her images about how your are not fit to marry her son and raise her grandchildren.  Our room had several pair of underwear (clean) hanging from various places like closet door handles, etc. because they didn't dry out on the line fast enough before it started to rain.  I don't know what she thought when she saw those, but I do know I probably am much better off not knowing.

Anyway, I finally got that room clean.  It literally took me 2/3 of the day.  Now the challenge is to keep it that way.

I also cleaned out the junk/kitchen crap drawer.  This took me the other 1/3 of the day.  There was so much stuff in that drawer it was almost overwhelming to start.  Lots of little things that could be useful/important, but stuff that doesn't really have a good home.  Hence, the junk drawer.  Except I no longer have that option because adding our dishwasher took out the prime drawer and cupboard spot.  A fair trade for a dishwasher, but still a giant pain in the rump when it comes to now finding 8 million things a new home.

I am leaning towards massively going through the house an pitching most of the things that we have.  There is so much we have and never do anything with.  My mom is a hoarder so I try and make sure I don't fall too far in to that category.  she has held on to miles and miles of batting from the craft store because "it's like gold"  In all of my life, I cannot remember her one time using batting for anything.  Chris leans towards the hoarder mentality as well.  When our new over the oven microwave was put up last week he wanted to save the old one for when Ava goes to college.  She's 9.  I am not holding a microwave for the next 9 years for her.

I know someone who is going to live on a sailboat this summer with her 5 kids (all under age 8 by the way!).  I think several things about this.  1.  They are INSANE  2.  How on earth are they possibly going to do this?  3.  Wouldn't it be awesome to be forced to get rid of crap because there just isn't room?

Think about it.  If you are living on a sailboat, there isn't room for the extras that we find ourselves feeling like we can't do without, end up buying, and then it just takes up all this room for the few times we use the darn item.  I have several large totes of stamping/card making stuff.  I can't bring myself to get rid of it because there is literally hundreds of dollars worth of stuff there.  I haven't made a card in probably well over 5 years.  But I still hold on to it.

Please, someone tell me that they have the same issues as me.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment