Thursday, December 20, 2012

Pomegranate

I ate my first pomegranate.

It did not look like this.

My first ever in the history of my life.  Every year around Christmas I see them in the grocery store and wondered about them but this is the first time I brought one home.  I paid $2.50 for it, which seems kind of like a lot.

I cut it open and realized I maybe didn't do it right.  I had to google how to eat a pomegranate.  You are supposed to cut up and down kind of like the above picture, but I cut horizontally and made a mess of things.

It was yummy, although the little pods are kind of like eating seeds, which was weird.  All of my kids didn't like it.  Kembia said "no like" but then kept coming back for more.  Truitt spit it out.  Moyz ate it, but Moyz eats anything so I don't trust his judgement.  Owen didn't like it and Ava was still at school.

It was fun enough and exotic enough that I think I am going to put one in the kids' stockings every Christmas.  You know how some families put oranges in their stockings?  Well it's like that, but with Pomegranates.  I bet there is a reason for the whole orange thing, but I don't know what it is.

My reason is that pomegranates are fun, exotic and rare because they are not cheap.  Maybe this will turn into one of those crazy Christmas traditions where you've "just always done it" and my kids will do it with their kids, and so on down the line for the next 100 years.  Assuming that the world doesn't end tomorrow.

Now I want to try that crazy, expensive POM juice that makes me feel poor every time I see it because it's about the size of a sippy cup and like $7.


And maybe I will put a beautiful matching bow around it to help elevate the specialness of it.  

I have a girlfriend who mixes POM juice with Sprite but I am afraid to start doing that because what happens if I get addicted to something yummy but that is just so insanely expensive?  

I totally see that happening.


No comments:

Post a Comment