Friday, September 24, 2010

For both of my kids I have made blankies for them. I can't really sew that well, but baby blankets aren't super hard, and it felt like a tangible way to do something special for them. Both of them loved them, which of course, made me feel awesome.

Ava developed the habit of sucking on one particular corner with her thumb in her mouth. She would turn the blanket until she found that one corner, which got nasty over time, and even after washing it, it became brown colored on that corner. Eventually, we had to take the blanket away, because it contributed to her thumb sucking. She didn't suck her thumb unless she had the blanket. It was a fairly traumatic event at our house. She was desparately sad without her blanket, and going to bed those first few days was not a fun event. For me, it was hard to watch her be so upset and know that I could just give the blanket back. But I didn't, and still, she has to go in next month to the orthodontist to get an expander for her upper jaw that is way out of wack, likely due to the thumb sucking.

Owen didn't have quite the same reaction to his blanket. He still has his at 3 1/2. Ava's was gone around two. (well, we still have it, but gone from her) He is still attached to it, and calls it his "little blankie". He actually has three blankets that he wants on himself at night. The "little" blankie goes on first, and then we have to put the other two on.

Yesterday, I decided to make a blankie for our little boy in Africa. I had this fun elephant print that I bought last year and never did anything with. Owen "helped" me, and we got it done in just a little bit. Hopefully he will love his as much as my other two did, and hopefully it will not cause him to suck his thumb!


This is the back of the blanket.



This is the front of the blanket.

No comments:

Post a Comment