Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Our New Cereal Rule

I am one of those people who could probably eat cereal for every meal of my life for as long as I shall live.  The sugarier the better.  If it has multiple colors or a chocolate variant of it, bring it on.  As such, I have passed this on to my kids.

But, I have come to the conclusion that it is unrealistic, not to mention that it isn't the healthiest, to feed 5 kids cereal for breakfast.  Talk about a money drain.  $3 bucks for one box that will be gone in two days and not make my kids feel full?  Or, I could buy 18 eggs for less than that and make omelets and all sorts of stuff, fill up my kids and not pump them full of artificial coloring and all the other crap on the label that I can't read and therefore have no idea what it is or what it does.  So, starting today, I broke the news to my oldest two that we will no longer be getting the "good" cereal.  Or really any cereal at all.  I am making an exception for Raisin Bran (generic) for myself for ah, how to put this delicately, the fiber.

This, of course, is going to require me to wake up earlier in the morning if I am not going to just throw a box of cereal at my kids for breakfast, and I am sad to part with the sleep.  But I am willing to bet that my kids, and my wallet will thank me.  Because as much as I love cereal, I love eggs and bacon even more.

3 comments:

  1. For the reasons you mentioned above we also went on a "no boxed" cereal move awhile ago. But I am very lazy and they have to eat oatmeal every day! We put steel cut oats in the crock pot overnight and then it's ready in the am and we put raisins and honey on top. Eggs and bacon sound good too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm bad with the mornings as well... and cereal up here is much more expensive!! We do oatmeal most mornings with fresh fruit and yogurt - and save the eggs for the weekends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll probably end up giving them oatmeal too. I think that is what Moyz and Kembia ate pretty much exclusively for breakfast the first two months they were home! And as much as I would love to think I will do awesome breakfasts every morning like bacon and eggs, or pancakes, I have my doubts! Good thing oatmeal is healthy and cheap!

    ReplyDelete