Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Is Your Closet a 10?

So I got to thinking about this after I read this post  at Young House Love.  I have talked about how I love this blog so, so much.  At first, I was all like "how could you love everything in your closet and rank them all 10s?  That is so impossible".  And then it gnawed on me for a lot of the afternoon in between the times where I was gnawing about how frustrating and not teacher-like Ava's "teacher assigned to her aside from me" is.  (But that is a whole other post)

And so I wandered back to my closet and flung open the doors to this pretty site:



A sort-of-organized area.  I looked at my stuff and looked at my stuff and then started taking stuff down and really scrutinizing it.  I have a penchant for t-shirts.  I tend to always wear them under a cardigan.  It is like a sickness.  But I noticed that a lot of my shirts aren't nice.  And some of them are waaaayyy outdated.  Not to mention that I have three sweatshirts from when I was in tennis in high school.  Do you know how old they are?  They are from 1997, 1998 and 1999.  But yet I cannot make myself part with them because I don't have any other sweatshirt options.  And that my friends, is my problem.  Yes, I have tons of clothes and I don't end up wearing them as much as I should.  I have the classic "I don't have anything to wear" syndrome as I stand in front of the closet with 14 t-shirts and 12 cardigans.  (which thankfully still fit, unlike my jeans)

And then the beauty of the "10" closet really struck me.  My biggest problem is that most of the clothes I have are not "10s".  Most of them fall into the "they are okay" category, which probably would be equivalent to a 6 or 7.  And so I skip over a lot of them and hardly ever wear them in favor for stuff that I like more.  Imagine if I liked my entire wardrobe.  I cannot even fathom.

The second part of this is that I do not have the money to just get rid of everything and only buy things I love.  Unfortunately, I tend to have champagne taste and let me tell you, the Nelson family is definitely on a beer budget.  So I tend to hold onto things.  (I think I can hear the faint whispering of "hoarder, hoarder" in the background)

I have resolved to start getting rid of things that I don't really like, and if that makes me end up with 4 shirts, then I will rotate those 4 shirts until I can slowly and affordably get new stuff.  Plus I think this will help me with all of the "stuff" anxiety I have been having about my house in general.  It is a small way to help me feel like I have more control over my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment