Friday, February 1, 2013

Books, Books, Books

So I am sure that you have seen the Penguin clothbound books that came out around 2009.


Amazing, yes?

I bought the complete collection of Jane Austen's books quite a few years ago, but lately have been thinking about acquiring more because 1. I love books, and 2. the beautiful, the better.  (Not knocking kindle because I think it's a fabulous way to carry a bunch of books with you, but it will never, ever be the same as holding a book in your hands).

Then I discovered that these were a limited edition and some of them are getting hard to find.  You can buy the entire collection off Amazon for something like $550, but since that's not even remotely in my budget, I am going to try and buy them piecemeal.

My credit card (which I ALWAYS pay off every month in full), gives me points to places and amazon is one of them, so while lying in bed today avoiding my kids and Chris and Ava who are slowly on their way to recovery, while I think I may be feeling that "going to throw up in the future" tingle at the back of my throat, or maybe it's just paranoia, I ordered these four:

Cranford

Lady Chatterley's Lover (this one I got at Walmart.com, Amazon was sold out)


The Woman In White

Hound of the Baskervilles (seriously, go watch BBC's Sherlock right.now!)


The last one isn't the brightest colors, but mostly I ordered it for the story.  I have to admit that the first three I ordered largely because of the color of the book, to add some flair to the others I already have and add some color to the living room where I keep them.  But I'm not quite that shallow because I do like the way the stories sound.  That's the reason why I didn't order the Jabberwocky one.

Jabberwocky

It's gorgeous, but I am not a huge fan of poems and would rather order the stories first.

Hopefully, the books will still be available as I try to buy them over the next couple of months.  In my mind, books should always be this gorgeous.  And then while toodling around some more, I came across these Puffin Classics.  

Just a small sampling.

This has got to stop.  Now I am just as fascinated with these, although they are for kids.  Examples are Peter Pan, Wizard of Oz, Wind in the Willows and The Secret Garden, Anne of Green Gables....

Can I be totally honest here and tell you that I did not know that Peter Pan was an actual book?  I just thought it was a Disney movie.  Bet you can guess at least on of the ones I will order in the future!



1 comment: