Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Love Meal

                                                        


Chris and I don't really do Valentine's Day.  Back when we were first married we would do gifts and go out, but it just felt so contrived so we quit.  Which is a good thing because it's just not worth the money to pay a babysitter for our 5 kidlets to go out on a holiday that someone else made up.  We'd rather be spontaneous or go out for a special reason of our own.


We do, however, use it as a good excuse to spend a little bit more on making a yummy supper at home, so I guess technically you could say we do valentines, but I don't really feel like it is.  It's just a good opportunity for us to try something we wouldn't normally do.

And to me, special food usually means seafood of some type is involved.

Here is what we've got going so far:


1.Oyster Stew

oyster stew

Our family loves oysters, even the babies, and when I saw this recipe in House Beautiful, I knew it would be popping up at some point in the Nelson household.  Perfect opportunity.  Go here for the recipe.


2.  Venison Roast on the grill


I've been eating venison since I've met Chris, and to be honest, at first I didn't like it all because I had never really eaten it before.  But the way Chris makes his roast is amazing and totally to die for.  He cooks it super slow and bastes it in butter and then adds Lowry's Seasoning Salt.  I wish everyone had the opportunity to eat this.

3.  Roasted Brussel Sprouts


These regularly make an appearance at our house, but they are so yummy and my kids always ask for them.


4.  Lobster Tails


Sadly, ours will be frozen and not fresh.  But the best lobster tail of my life was one I made at home two years ago.  It beat out every restaurant's lobster tail that I have eaten, hands down.  They're on sale for $5 per tail, so we'll buy one for Chris and me and the big kids and share between all of us.  If you go this route, keep it simple, nothing fancy.  Cook them till they're just done and then dip in butter.  The only way to eat them in my opinion.

5.  Dessert

Not exactly sure here, but probably I will serve blueberries and some other fruit.  It's on sale at the grocery store, and after a winter of pretty much eating apples, bananas and oranges, some new fruit will be a welcome change.


There you have it, our Valentine's meal.  And does it sound good.  And also kind of far away when you are so looking forward to eating it!

PS:  I haven't forgotten about the Nutella Stuffed Chocolate Chips with Brown Butter.  I didn't make them this weekend like I said I was because Chris had to work on Saturday which he normally doesn't, then with church on Sunday and later a snow storm and driveway to clear, no can do.  But I did pick up the stuff and my plan is to make them today.  Hopefully.  And when I do, I'll let you know.  

No comments:

Post a Comment