Sunday, April 3, 2011

Just call me Mother Goose

Ava and Chris got the super fantastic idea to hatch eggs. They got eggs from my parents, and an incubator from my brother. So for the next 21-30 days we are running a little experiment in the Nelson household. Did I mention we also have a cat who should find this extremely exciting? We are incubating and hopefully hatching eggs inside our home because we don't live in the country and have a shed or barn that we could do this from. I have been frantically googling how to incubate eggs, and let me tell you, there is all sorts of advice. First thing against us- we are going to try two different types of eggs at the same time, chicken and goose. It sounds like the temp. is the same but humidity levels are different. But according to some websites, the humidity isn't necessarily that big of a deal if you can keep the temp. accurate. Oh, and I also get to turn the chicken eggs at least 3 times per day, and the goose eggs 2 times. Plus keep a 4 year old from opening the door all of the time. And what, you may ask are we going to do with chickens and geese this summer? Good question! I have asked Chris that myself and have yet to get a satisfactory answer. (Did I mention we live IN town?) I was thinking maybe collect eggs, but turns out your chickens have to be like 7 months old before they lay eggs. Chis is already planning, ahem, thanksgiving, goose anyone? Of course, this idea leads Ava to make horrified expressions, and to suggest that we bring to them to grandma and grandpa's farm when we are done. I think this is fair considering they gave us the eggs. Chris thinks it's going to be all adorable because the geese will imprint on me and I will literally be mother goose. He's witty that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment