Monday, February 27, 2012

The Hubby Returneth....Thank God!

Chris finally made it home last night. The friend that he went with told his wife he would be home at 5, and being that I tend towards excessive worry, I started calling his cell at noon to make sure they got out okay and were on the way home. Seeing as there is no cell phone reception up there and they don't have a SAT phone, and I hadn't talked to him since last Wednesday. I called his phone every hour until 5 and got nothing. Finally, at 6 he called me. They got almost a foot of snow when they were out in the BWCA wilderness and had to fight that plus extreme wind all the way back in to civilization. Plus driving home after all that snow on the roads. Crazy, and I have to admit I was a tad worried about them driving. But they did make it home, Chris got back about 11:30 last night. But they had a great time and all that stuff. Although he did admit that it would have been a bad first time for me to go with. Hmmm. Maybe next year? (Envision lots of snorting!) I did promise him that I would go with him one time, but every time he comes back with stories about it, it just makes me not want to go! Not to mention that he was home for 1 1/2 hours unpacking his gear and showering off and I didn't hear anything. Not one single thing. Kind of makes me feel like a failure in the protect my family category. Normally I think I would have heard something but since Truitt had been up the previous 4 nights about 5-6 times a night, I am going to blame it on exhaustion. I do have plans to take a gun safety and conceal and carry class though. At least that way if I am on my own in the future when Chris is gone I'll feel better about myself. Plus, Chris wants me to go deer hunting so I need to do it anyways. It will be me and a classroom of 30 eleven year olds in the gun safety class. But that's another story for another day. Man I go off on tangent easily.

Anyway, the kids and I did survive. It actually went a little better than what I was expecting because Moyz had some good moments where he didn't freak out every time I wasn't holding him. I was desperate to get out of the house and risked a trip to IKEA where they all did wonderful, I couldn't believe it. People looked at me like I was a tad insane bringing five kids there all by myself, but thank goodness for the ERGO because I carried Moyz on it and pushed Truitt and Kembia and all was well. Seriously!

The saddest part of our weekend was that Owen's crab got out of the cage and "disappeared" somewhere in our house. We cannot for the life of us figure out where he went to. Poor little guy. I am sure he is fossilized somewhere in here and we may never find him. We looked and looked but no such luck. Owen would watch his crab all the time during the day, so I felt bad and got him a new one. But I did tell the kids they both only get a "lose one get one free" crab. Meaning I will buy them each a new crab one time if it escapes and we can't find it, but then after that, no more crabs.

We also did a little project. I bought a ton of those rag rugs thinking I would sew them together for one big rug and stick it on the floor, but I didn't like how it looked so we decided, and I have no idea why, to nail them to a wall. Here's a picture of our little endeavor:

So that's my 5 day solo parenting story in a short nutshell. And then today, Owen threw up. Ah, the joys of parenting.

1 comment: