Thursday, May 31, 2012

Totally Random Thursday Post

I have a confession to make.  I am sort of obsessed with British things.  Not crazy obsessed like buying Will and Kate memoirbilia (can't figure out how to spell that word!).  I didn't even watch their wedding.  I probably would have but we didn't have a tv at the time.  But things like tea, and their cool flag, and castles.

I am not sure where the US obsession with princesses and fairy tale endings and all that came from, probably straight from the source when Britain first landed over here on our giant land mass we call home, but I have to admit that I love it.  I know I should probably say that it is such a bad example for our little girls.  That setting them up for the prince to come and save them is ruining a lot of what reality is like.  But I don't care.  (And feminists will probably hate me, but when did it become a crime to find a husband who loves you unconditionally, and has sworn to be faithful and take care of you for the rest of your life?  That's the type of husband I have, and yes, while I can get the door on my own and take care of most of my needs, it sure is sweet when he does it and shows me how much he loves me.  And no, it doesn't lessen who I am as a woman.)

Anyway, back to the subject.  Because it really isn't the prince finding the princess part that I love (although I do like that too), but it's the time period and the clothes and just how society functioned during that part.  I should probably say wealthier society, because I have read a lot about how medieval society kind of sucked if you weren't wealthy.

It just sort of makes me long for a time when their was tradition and formality instead of girls in clothes that aren't appropriate for prostitutes, and wait, their moms are wearing it too.  There I go again off subject.  I am finding it just so hard to focus!

Somewhere I read that Britains average 3 cups of tea a day.  Americans, three cups per week.  This makes me wonder, why drink tea at all if you are only doing it 3 times a week?  I don't even think that's enough to really get any of the health benefits that tea is supposed to have.

In case you live under a rock, and don't feel bad because that's probably where I am most of the time, the summer Olympics are in London.  I imagine all things British will be hot sellers soon.  I am not a huge fan of summer Olympics, my favorite event would be the crazy diving stuff that they do.  Isn't that insane?  I don't think you could pay me to jump off a platform many feet in the air and do tricks.  And I am not even afraid of heights, more of the plunging like crazy to the surface thing and then having to look pretty while doing it.
We'll probably tune in every once in a while.  I like to watch the opening ceremony, and I think it's good for the kids to see all the different things people can do.  Although I have to admit it seems like a giant waste of money.  I read in a magazine about an entire building that was built for some type of indoor bicycle racing.  This humongous first class building not even for regular bike riding.  What are they going to do with it when everything is over?

Anyway, that's all I've got for today, and I am not 100% where it came from.  For the record, I am also obsessed with Czarist Russia.  Not crazy Vladimir Putin Russia.  Also for many of the same reasons as for Britain. I actually took Russian in college.  We spent the first 3 months just learning the Cyrillic alphabet.  My kids think I totally rock that I can read something that looks just bizarre.   Anyone else have these crazy loves of other countries for perfectly silly reasons?






No comments:

Post a Comment