Monday, October 8, 2012

A Seriously Embarrassing Moment With Neighbor Kids

I almost wasn't going to post this, but then I had several people who almost demanded that I did because they thought it was so funny.  Probably because it wasn't them.

And I have to tell a story to get to the embarrassing part, so hang in there.

Wednesday I decided that it would be totally awesome to dye my hair black.  I felt like I needed a change, and since the aforementioned bangs weren't going to work out because of one crazy cowlick, I was going to take matters into my own hands.  So the kidlets and I headed to Target (where else) to buy some hair dye.  Once there, Kembia and Moyz decided to only say the word Chihuahua to everyone, which isn't even something I knew they could say.  Everyone thought it was hilarious except for me because they wouldn't be quiet.  We were like that broken toy that just keeps talking even when the battery is dying.

And as soon as we got home off to bed they went and I knew I had to move fast.  Moyz is an hour nap taker at the most.  My biggest fear right now is that he is going to soon give up naps completely.

Here is me before they hair dye just to remind myself.  Taken in my bathroom which has the best light in the house, unfortunately.  Which I might as well take the time to add, smells like pee and I can't shake it no matter how hard I try.  I cannot wait until the twins are potty trained.  In the mean time I use up a lot of Scentsy wax to cover the scent.


I never noticed until now but I always hold my mouth funny when I take my own pictures and my glasses are never all the way up my nose where they should be.  Put together I tell you, that's what I am.

Anyway, I get that dye in my hair and notice that the spots that I spilled on the freakin' wall are turning blue.  Uh oh.  You can see where I am going, and this isn't even the embarrassing part with the neighbors yet.  At the end of my 25 minutes I had blue hair.  I didn't even know that was possible, dye it black and have it turn out blue.  To be fair, it wasn't Katy Perry blue, but it was still blue with a little bit of black.  It was especially blue around the forehead.  I tried in vain to get a good picture of it so you can see how ridiculous it looked, but it was just black enough that I couldn't get my cheap, 5 year old camera to show it correctly.  

I talked to a hair stylist friend of mine who said rush out and get the darkest red I can find and that should balance it out and cover up the blue.  And oh by the way, once you go black essentially you can never go back.  Also didn't know that.

And here we finally get to the good part.  The older two kids were at Awana's and the babies were all sleeping.  I am not sure what Chris was doing, wandering around the house or something like that, but he noticed the smell coming from the bathroom and came to open up a few windows.  I tried to tell him that opening windows was a bad idea since it was 7:30 and pitch black out and I was butt naked because of the humongous mess I made the first time around, but he told me that he didn't want me to die of poisoning.

I tried to tell him that this was a bad idea because some neighbor kids could come by or Ed, our 80- something year old neighbor who has a crush on me.  Chris' only response was the if Ed came by then he would have two dead people on his hands- me from hair dye poisoning and Ed from a heart attack.  

After joking about it I went and sat on the floor in the kitchen and surfed design blogs to kill time while waiting for the new color to set, and when my time was up, got up and started walking down the hallway when the doorbell rang.  The doorbell on the door that was wide open.  And the hallway I was standing in naked is right in direct view of the door.  I walked as fast as I could to my room and stood there trying to hear who it was.

Turns out it was our two cute neighbor girls ages 4 and 6 bringing our family Halloween cookies they made.  I have no idea if they saw me, I find it impossible that they couldn't, because I made Chris go outside and see if he could have seen me.  I think I need to go and tell their mom what happened in case they did see me and went home and told their mom that they saw the neighbor lady naked.  Chris thinks I should just let it be unless their mom says something.  I don't even know their mother, I have only met her one time in my life.  She lets their kids come over and play with our kids outside because we don't let our kids go anywhere where we don't know the parents well.  Now, she probably thinks I am some crazy pervert and will never allow her girls to set foot in our yard again.  

For real.  How is that I can joke with Chris about something happening and then not 10 minutes later it does?  What do you think I should do?  I tried to put myself in reverse position, what would I do if Ava came home and said she saw the neighbor lady naked.  Would I want her to come over and tell me what was going on, or would I be understanding that it was sort of late at night (at least in my opinion for a 4 and 6 year old to be walking around at dark by themselves) and sometimes these things happen.  I am not sure exactly what I would think.  Probably Chris and I would play light about it with the kids but then maybe keep them away from their house for awhile.  

And here's the hair now.  At least it isn't blue anymore.  Good grief.  May this time rest in peace!


There's that crazy mouth thing again.  Also, try hard to ignore the orange-instead-of-blue hairline.  I am not supposed to wash it for 48 hours so I won't be leaving my house in the mean time unless I wear a baseball cap to cover up the obviously dyed shining bright beacon on the top of my forehead.  I don't even own a baseball hat.  I can't decide which version I like best.  I am hoping that the latter doesn't wash me out too much, but you can certainly let me know if you think it does.  The problem with the before picture is that it just seems too mousey.  This is where Chris would tell me a few well-placed highlights would have done well.  He loves blonde on me, much to my dismay.  The thing is I feel much more like myself with dark hair.  Of course I could put a couple of highlights in this around the face, but I think 4 bottles of dye in less than half a day is probably a bit much for my hair to be doing anything else at this point.

1 comment:

  1. I kind of did a cringe and laugh the whole way through this post. Painful.

    By the way, when we sat behind you in church on Sunday, I was totally admiring your new hair color the entire time. So the finished product is awesome.

    ReplyDelete