Monday, October 29, 2012

Cramming 7 people around the table

Well, I think it's official.  After Truitt managed to undo his highchair tray and stand up in his seat I have decided that he must be moved to the table in a regular booster seat.  This creates a mondo problem for us as we only have room around our table for 6 chairs.  6 chairs, 7 people.  Houston we have a problem.

I think I have solved this problem by getting a bench from Ikea that spans the whole length of the table and upon which I am hoping to deposit three little bottoms at every meal.

It's the cheapest one I could find coming in at $69.  Probably I could make it for a whole lot cheaper then that, only I don't have the time or the patience to do so.  

Ava has already requested that she not sit by Owen.  I don't know how to break the news to her that not only will she still be in the vicinity of him, but on the same piece of wood.  I am sure she will love that.  And because we still have the whole too many kids, not enough space problem, now there is going to be a child in between her and Owen who isn't in a booster seat.  

I am not exactly looking forward to this situation because that means that whatever child is between the two oldest will not be tied down at dinner times and free to try and get down and roam if they so choose, but I don't know how else to get everyone at the table.  A bigger table isn't an option because our space can't accommodate a bigger table.  I can't wait until they are all teenagers and we try to fit 5 hulking kids up to the table.  Let alone feed them.  I hope they like rice and beans because that's about all we'll be able to afford!

The upside to all of this is that hopefully Truitt will feel more like he belongs to the pack instead of in the high chair a fair distance away from the table (again because of the space thing).  The downside is that now my table will be abused by 5 kids instead of 4 and Truitt has zero self control.  I can only imagine him trying to reach everyone's food and the pots and everything within the reach of his grubby little hands.  

No comments:

Post a Comment