Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Muffin Magic

My kids are "like so sick of oatmeal, Mom".  That would be from Ava, who is 9 going on 16.

We've been going strong with our no cereal rule for the past 8 months.  But finally, even I am sick of oatmeal   and eggs and waffles, and mostly sick of my kids whining about what's for breakfast.  I have been thinking about making some muffins from scratch but really been to lazy to find a recipe.  And then in this weekend's Parade in the Sunday paper, behold there it was.  And now I have no excuses.

(These are not my muffins, my kids ate them before I could take a picture.  I googled this image.)


Basic Breakfast Muffins

2 c. flour
1 T. baking powder
1/4 c. sugar
3/4 t. salt
2 eggs
1 c. milk
1/2 c. veg.oil
1 1/2 t. vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 400, spray muffin pan
2. Beat eggs, milk, oil and vanilla in large bowl for about 1 minute
3. Add dry ingredients, beat just until no streaks of flour remain
4. Spoon into muffin cups, bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes until tops springy when pushed lightly

Makes 1 dozen muffins

Technically you were supposed to mix your dry ingredients separately and then add to the wet ones, but I was by far too lazy and my muffins still turned out awesome, so why do an extra step?  We added craisins to spice it up a bit, and our flour was actually  half and half white and wheat.  Next time we will add one banana and 1/2 c. choc. chips.  Pretty much anything you can think of putting in muffins you probably should.

And my kids ate them up, so we are going to be instigating "Muffin Monday".  Where every Monday we eat muffins for breakfast.  Probably I will make a double batch and serve them on one of the other school mornings too.  Usually they have some type of fruit, typically a banana or an apple since they are cheap, and milk to go with whatever else we are having for breakfast.

It definitely takes more time to make things from scratch, but in the long run it is saving us a lot of money.  These kids are already eating us out of house and home!





No comments:

Post a Comment