Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Mac n' Cheese forever

Why is it that no matter how good of a cook you are, or all the options of food in this world, my kids will enevitably ask for mac n' cheese? I consider myself a decent cook. I try to find new recipes and make yummy things and go out on a limb. I can't really create things from scratch very well, but I can follow a recipe like an expert. With all of the different things I have made, and believe me, there have been a lot, my children's favorite food is mac n' cheese. You know when you go to the well child checkups and your kids are old enough to answer for themselves so the doctors ask them the questions? I am half in dread of what they are going to say, and half in awe of the things they come up with. Both my daughter and my son responded that they love mac n' cheese more than anything. Of course it makes me think that the doctor thinks I am the worst mom in the world because my kids love overprocessed, orange food, loaded with butter and calories. I always feel the need to have my kids say the other thing they like too so the doctor can see that I, in fact, do serve them well-balanced meals. My kids think that our babies are going to love mac n' cheese. They are trying to decide if they will like the regular mac n' cheese better, or the kind that is shaped like sea shells. I told them that they probably will be too young for mac n' cheese when they come home, but when they got bigger it would be okay. I can't even imagine what they are going to think about it. Or most of our foods for that matter. They are probably eating cornmeal mush and beans. That is what the kids in the Ugandan orphanage mostly ate. Our American food options are going to rock their world. What an adjustment to make. When we were at the orphanage we brought jolly ranchers for the kids. They kept taking it out of their mouth and looking at it in wonder and then putting it back in. They even let the younger children have some. The mother in me panicked to see 18 month olds with hard jolly ranchers. It will be interesting to see how our children respond to the meals we have; especially if our children are older and used to eating solid foods already. If I am totally honest, I like mac n' cheese too. Definitely not as much as my children do. When I was little my mom made it without the butter and we loved it. Then I grew up, and because we never put the butter in when I was young, by golly, I was going to put the butter in as an adult. Oh man, it became totally different. Different in that delicious-but-way-worse-for-you kind of way. If you haven't put the butter in yet, DON'T! You will never go back to cooking it without butter!

1 comment:

  1. I am laughing because I am cleaning up after a lunch of yup, you guessed it, Mac n Cheese!!! I did give them some veggies and dip on the side, so does that make up for it?
    My husband and I tried an experiment when we first moved from the UK (Where K Dinner is not so readily available). The kids had it at my Dad's place and were hooked from the start. We thought we could make them sick of it by giving it to them everyday. Didn't work I am afraid to report. I am gonna call it 'Crack' Dinner from now on, because I am sure it is addictive.

    Anyhow, I did find a lesser evil- the Costco brand of Macaroni and Cheese does not contain the yucky food colorant Tartrazine that Crack Dinner has in it. The kids noticed the difference at first, but now enjoy it no problem. So I take some comfort in the fact that it is just salty and fatty and not quite so carcinogenic now:)

    And you are so right- has to have good 'ole salty butter added!

    ReplyDelete