Wednesday, August 4, 2010

So the Bead for Life party ROCKED! I was thrilled with all of the women that showed up and supported this organization. We had an awesome night trying on the paper jewelry and just hanging out. Perfect girl time, which every girl needs, especially this girl because it helps me focus on something not adoption related. My hand-mopped floor looked amazing until someone spilled juice on it. I probably should have known that this was going to happen and not mopped in the first place. Oh well. Live and learn. (Plus it really needed it.)

One of my friends that stopped by made the comment that her daughter wants to redo her room. My crazy decorating internal alarm went off. Funny that her daughter was thinking hot pink or perhaps lime green. Hmmmm. Exactly the colors of my daughter's room. The Dilemma: Ava's room is downstairs. Which doesn't really sound like a dilemma until I admit that we are less OCD with the organization down there. So. Do I take her downstairs so she can see that the illusion of cleanliness upstairs is false, or show her anyways because she needs inspiration? I opted for taking her, along with 4 others downstairs. Perhaps you are not like me, perhaps you are uber organized and have everything in its place at all times. God bless you. (And I really do mean that.) Deep down inside of me I want to be that person. Problem is, I don't know how to get that person out. Hubby keeps saying that part of the process of getting ready for the babies is thoroughly cleaning and sorting out all the things (read junk) downstairs. Of course, a huge part of the problem downstairs is Hubby's fault. We have tools and camping equipment and hunting gear up the wazoo. What I probably should do is just buy a bunch of those organizing shelves and drawers and sing like Mary Poppens and everything will go back into place. Wouldn't that be amazing?! The problem with that scenario, aside from items magically moving, is that organization stuff is expensive. Prohibitively expensive given the quantities needed to make our downstairs look organized. Plus, where all of the aforementioned gear is stored is where we need to build another bedroom. So it doesn't really make sense to make it all spiffy, just to have to take it out again and knock out part of a wall to put a window in and all the other stuff that goes along with building things.

The good news is my friend is having a garage sale this weekend, where hopefully I will be able to unload a bunch of stuff that we once thought necessary but now is just taking up space and collecting dust. This should be freeing. I have already started this process with both of my kids to pair down all of the things we own that are unnecessary, and that has gone okay with them. Of course, it is always much harder to do this with yourself. I never really thought of myself as attached to things or clothes, but I am finding it a little bit harder then I thought it would be to get rid of things that we don't use/need.

Would absolutely love it if anyone out there has any great ideas for organizing/cleaning/facing all of the "stuff". It really has been so much easier just to ignore it every time we go down there. Now it's time to buck up and deal with it. I know I will feel better afterwards. It's just that the process in getting to the end is so painful!

2 comments:

  1. Scrap wood for shelves, milk crates, cinder-block, or whatever else you happen to have to hold them up, or just rubbermaid bins. We would buy what we could afford every time shelves went on sale, and eventually, 5 years later, our garage is sorted out. Unfortunately for us, we have no basement.

    I also recommend just getting rid of stuff. I can't tell you how much stuff we gave away and it is SO cleansing when it's all gone. I did a blog post a while back with pictures :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay Mel. I tried your advice of just getting rid of it. Tonight I cleared out SIX purses (pathetic that I have that many to get rid of, I know.) in one fell swoop for the garage sale tomorrow. It was hard to move them from the closet to the van, but I did it! Along with a whole van load of other stuff. It's a start, and I have a long way to go, but man does it feel good!

    ReplyDelete