Monday, August 20, 2012

This Is Why I am Not Martha Stewart

Look at the following image:


Do you know what this is?  It's a mural that Martha Stewart made for her grandchildren in her daughter, Alexis Stewart's apartment,  out of Canadian Arctic deer hides.  Because everyone who goes to Canada brings back an armload of deer skin and thinks "someday I will do something with this".

I have to show a few more pics:

This is her kitchen.


The office, where she only wanted one cabinet of storage to avoid having things to store.  What?


Living Light
The living room.


Her bedroom.  Doesn't it just scream cozy?  (Sarcasm people, I hope you are catching it!)


Okay, now that you have seen the pics, here is why I showed them to you.  Alexis Stewart said in the recent issue of Martha Stewart Living "I wanted something more feminine than my last apartment, but not girly."  And, "I made a decision early on to embrace color."

Really?  This apartment is feminine and colorful?  Where?  This has got to be one of the most minimal, non-girly, non-colorful places I have seen in a long time.  One peach chair, a blue mural coupled with a few other blue pieces in the apartment does not a colorful apartment make.

I was actually laughing as I read the article.  To me, this whole entire house feels like a sterile environment where children would never be able to thrive.

Here is the playroom:


Now, I will give her some props as to being colorful here, but it also makes me feel like I am in a Montessori store.  Not one plastic toy in sight.  I can just see the babies being scolded for having more than one toy out at a time.

I am sorry, I may be a spaz when it comes to decorating, but I would never want to live in a home like that.  Colorful and girly?  I hate to repeat that question again, but this is about as far from that as you can get.  And I am still laughing about the fact that it was represented in the magazine under those titles.

Please bring back Domino.

No comments:

Post a Comment