Friday, August 24, 2012

Working On The Living Room

Did you know that if you hit an acrylic nail with a hammer it will break?  And I just got them filled, there's $18 down the drain.

So I decided to make some living room changes.  For the longest time, like the first 9 years of our marriage we had my parents old couch that they graciously gave to us.  And then we had some friends who were getting new ones and offered us their old ones.  Both of which happened to be pull-out beds.  Major score.  Seeing as we don't have a guest bedroom and we knew we were going from 2 to 5 kids pretty much overnight, we snapped those babies up.  And they look like this:

It's kind of hard to tell with the lighting but they are an ugly forest green.  Not a problem.  I can cover them up with a slipcover, which I did.  And by the way, they are not cheap.  I found a stretchy two piece for both the loveseat above and the couch.  

But now some time has passed and all of our new children have left their "mark" (read nasty diaper stains) on the slipcover and it was never really the color I wanted, so I decided to make my own.  And at the same time decided to make some changes.

Here is a picture of the couch area with the new slipcover I made as it is currently:

Not terrible, but the pillars with the breakable vases are a major issue in our house right now, Truitt has almost pulled them over several times.  I am surprised that didn't happen with Kembia and Moyz. I originally put them up because I needed to fill the space on the sides of the couch and I had them from our wedding and thought I may as well do something with them, plus it was a free change to the house.  But now they must go because they are a safety hazard and I am just tired of looking at them.  And I will have a slipcover tutorial for the loveseat once I get it done, I was just too impatient to do it with the sofa.  

Here is a sneak peek at what is happening, and keep in mind that it's not finished, and will involve an IKEA rast hack.  Which was probably the easiest IKEA piece I have ever put together, and that is saying a lot because they are notoriously a ginormous pain in the butt to put anything they make together.  

Now that my kitchen is black, the living room was mostly brown as accents and the two just didn't flow right together.  My house hasn't felt exactly cohesive, and even though I loved both sides separately, I need for them to fit as one because my house has been giving me anxiety ever since I re-did the kitchen.  I know, I should probably just get over it, but I can't.  There may be something to that whole fung shuei thing.  (Totally don't know how to spell that!)

Hopefully Monday I will have finished pictures up of what it all looks like, although we have a super busy weekend coming up so no promises.  And actually, it will only be pictures of the couch area because I don't even have the fabric for the loveseat yet, so I will have to wait to show the entire living room until I get that done.

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Your slipcover turned out freaking awesome! I love it!