Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Rosemary Gin Gimlet

What's a gimlet you ask?  According to the dictionary, it is a cocktail including gin and lime.

I totally did not know that until I googled it after stumbling across this pretty drink from the blog Savor Home.

Yummy.

I used her recipe but tweaked it a little bit.  Originally it calls for you to steep the honey and sugar and rosemary for 6 hours, but ain't nobody got time for that.  So I cheated and crushed the Rosemary with a knife to get the juices moving.  In the end, I let everything soak for about 1 1/2 hours and it turned out fabulous.  (Recipe below with my modifications)  For her original recipe click here.  Also, mine didn't turn out so pretty and light as hers in the picture above.  I think it's because I crushed the Rosemary, but I don't know.  Mine were more of a yellow color, not the pretty whitish like above.  

But be careful, these things have some serious kick, so I also only added 1 oz. of Gin instead of the called for 2.  If you add the 2 I don't think you will be upright for very long, and that is never a good thing, so trust me and add much less then you think you need.

1 cup boiling water
6 sprigs fresh rosemary
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 cup honey
Gin
Fresh lime juice

1/ To make the honey-rosemary simple syrup, add the boiling water, 6 sprigs of fresh rosemary, 1/2 cup sugar and honey to a medium sized bowl or pot.  Rough up the rosemary to get the fragrance out.  Let sit for at least an hour, more if you want to.

2/ To make the cocktail, fill a shaker halfway up with ice. Add 2 oz of honey-simple syrup, 1 oz of gin, and 1.5 oz of fresh lime juice to the shaker and shake it up.

3/ Add 1 tablespoon of sugar to a plate.  Run a slice of lime over the rim of your glass. Dip the rim of glass into the sugar.

4/ Pour the drink into the glass and garnish with the remaining sprig of rosemary. Enjoy!!

I didn't do the whole lime on the rim with sugar, or garnish with rosemary, but left the instructions in case you want to.

We had a "date" night at home and drank these and watched Sherlock.  It was the first time Chris had seen an episode and he loved it.  Bring on season 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment