Sunday, June 12, 2011

Cloth Diapers

Those are not really words that I thought I would utter together and have them mean anything connected to myself. The thought of cloth diapers has always sent me into fits of gagging. But....

After realizing the change to the Nelson family budget that is going to be happening quite quickly (we hope), we are doing all things possible to save money. And that means biting the cloth diaper bullet.

I have done a fair amount of research and talked to several people who have done cloth diapers. In all reality, it doesn't sound as bad as I may have imagined it. But, that being said, I am still trying to wrap my head around this idea.

We were gifted a set of cloth diapers, which arrived in the mail last week. I mostly opened them up, and then put them in the babies room without doing a whole lot with them. After all, it will be quite some time before they can wear them, they have to be parasite free which can take awhile.

The other day I decided that perhaps I should read the information that came with them. Lo and behold, you are supposed to wash them at least SIX times before they go on a baby's bottom! Low maintenance they do not appear to be- at least in the beginning. It's a good thing I just didn't throw that piece of paper away. There is a decent chance I would have washed them only once and then put those puppies on the kidlets.

Hubby is eyeing up the diapers and wondering how this is all going to go down.

On a side note, I could not believe how expensive they were. Up front, cloth is a lot of money, but the savings really seem to be worth it in the end. Still, I have to familiarize myself with terms like wet bag, and items like diaper sprayers that you can hook up to your toilet. Oh, and you are also not allowed to use any type of butt cream or it voids the warranties. I almot feel like I need a PhD in diaperology to figure it all out!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jess... look into babysteals on facebook. I have been buying featured cloth diapers on there for fantastic prices! I bought a diaper sprayer on babysteals for $17! GoGreen diapers are also very inexpensive! The women on this site are also very knowledgeable. Rockin Green detergent (or soap nuts) is also recommended to keep diapers residue free and absorbent... Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pockets shouldn't need to be washed six times! Micro fiber inserts just need a wash to work. Pre-folds do need the mega-washing, or you can boil them... which is how I prefer to prep.

    ReplyDelete