Monday, January 7, 2013

What I'm Reading

So before I talk about what I've been reading, I have to take a  moment and talk about Downton Abbey.  Oh my word.  The casting person needs to be given a raise.  Shirley MacLaine is amazing.  The perfect foil to Maggie Smith's Countess.  I would turn in every Sunday just to listen to her lines.  Also, I am curious about who would be so fastidious about not accepting millions of dollars if you were the last given heir like Matthew Crawley.  It's kind of taking the whole nice guy thing to the extreme, especially given that his wife's family is going to lose their home and complete way of life.

Anyway,  I've waited months for it to come back and I was not disappointed.  We had some people over for a party, and 4 of them had never seen it before and the husbands even loved it.  A fun evening all around.

Okay, moving on to books.

Like the humongous nerd that I am, I rushed out to see the Hobbit, only to discover that it was a series of movies.

I absolutely hate that.

I would much rather be late to the party and have an entire series of books or movies at my disposal then have to wait years for everything to play out.

So, in honor of the movie, I just finished reading The Hobbit, and am moving on to the Lord of the Rings Trilogy again.


I swear to you last night while I was reading in bed, that Chris laughed at me and said the concept of reading for entertainment was just so foreign to him.  Meanwhile, the concept that someone could not love reading is one of the most absurd things I have ever heard.  

I have also been reading the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan since I was a senior in high school.  And the series was originally started in 1990.  How's that for waiting for a long time to finish?  Plus, Robert Jordan died in 2007 and all those highly invested in time spent reading his books panicked that they wouldn't be finished.  But he had notes for another to help, and his wife to edit like she did all of the books, and the next one, the last, comes out tomorrow.  (I pre-ordered it from Amazon so I will get it on Tuesday without leaving my house!)  I have contemplated starting this series again from the beginning, but at 14 books, each about 800 pages long, I don't think I will.  Maybe when I am old and retired.

Yes, the genre is science fiction/fantasy.  If it has a wizard or an elf in it, I am sold.  

And this is also supposed to be the year that the third book in the Divergent series by Veronica Roth comes out, but not until next fall, so I am not even remotely excited about it yet.  Okay, maybe a little bit excited but truly not that much.



I'm also continuing to pluck away at the classics, and read Sherlock Holmes for the first time this year.  Don't know what took me so long.  I heard that PBS has a series called Sherlock and it is supposed to be amazing.  Maybe in between Downton Abbey I can squeeze it in there.

Lest I forget, I will also continue to partake in all CIA, black ops type of books, that I probably shouldn't love as much as I do, and that I pick up for 50 cents at the goodwill.  Totally worth it.  

And then there is Les Miserables.  I have never read the book, but have plans to go and see the movie this week.  After which, I will read the book, but I am a little bit intimidated.  And probably I should read the book first, but I don't think it's going to happen before the movie leaves the theatre.

Okay, that's what's on my list.  Am I missing anything good?  

No comments:

Post a Comment