Monday, July 22, 2013

"Controversial" Cheerios Ad, and Kids' Reaction

Probably you have all seen this Cheerios add that apparently pissed people off.  People I really want to punch in the face.  (I won't, that wouldn't be very nice, but I still want to.)



This weekend I came across the video below on kids reacting to the commercial.  America, stand up and listen to these kids.  Their answers made me smile, and shed a few tears.  We love to think that racism is a thing of the past in the US, and yes, I agree we have come a long way.  But when Moyz went up behind a little old lady and gave her a hug, and she turned around and told him that he better not do that when he's older or he'll get arrested and thrown in jail (after she saw Moyz hug her friend), that shows me we have so much further to go.

Please, teach your kids that God created all people equal.  That racism does exist and that we need to fight it because it.is.wrong.  Because if we don't teach our kids and correct all the crap that our country has in its past, there is not way we can move forward.

For a long time, I was so focused on the fact that there wasn't that many black people in our community.  But I have come to the realization that our kids are the black people, and we can change peoples perceptions.  And that is a big responsibility.  But you know what?  When someone tells me that they watched Hotel Rwanda and grieved in a way they never thought they would because they were thinking about my kids, that made me refocus, and smile and cry for happiness.

Racism is a long and hard fight but when my friend told me her reaction to the movie, I knew that there was one more blow to racism pushing it further from our country.  And for that I am glad.




No comments:

Post a Comment