Friday, July 12, 2013

In The Spirit of Excess and 7......

Okay, you all know I am reading the book 7, where the author tries to pair down her life to focus on Jesus.  Well, as I lay across my bed looking at my dresser filled with piles of stuff, almost all of it stuff that doesn't matter, I decided to run an experiment myself.

Starting today, I will not be buying anything for myself and the others in my family that is not absolutely necessary.  No clothes, books, house stuff, etc., etc.  Probably if you can think of something, I won't be buying it.  Aside from food and regular things like toilet paper and body odor products, it is banned.

Until school starts in the fall.

I know it seems kind of drastic, and maybe it is, but I buy so much stuff that is unnecessary, I am probably single-handedly blowing our monthly budget, and it's not like I have lots of great things to show for it.  I have lots of stuff.  Stuff that fills my house and gets in my way and stuff that I now somehow have to find a home for.

Were they reading my mind when they wrote this card??? I often joke that I watch Hoarders when I'm feeling scrappy so that I can feel good about myself again!!!  Lol
This is kind of true for me.  Okay, maybe more than kind of.

Really, it's only for a month and a half, and I can keep myself motivated by thinking about all the money I will save.

There are a couple of exceptions.  The first is that the three littles all have birthdays coming up, and while they don't need anything, I will still get them a birthday present.  The second is when school supplies go cheap in August.  I use that to stock up my own notebooks and pens and such, and I will still do that this August as well.

And, to top it all off, while I am busy not buying anything, probably best accomplished by not going anywhere, I will be going through my house like a mad woman and getting rid of things.

Anybody in for a fight against excess until school resumes?

No comments:

Post a Comment